The primary responsibilities of our Specialty Paint Sales Associate positions are to maintain outstanding customer service, uphold our Mission and Core Values, help create the best paint department experience possible, generate profitable sales, merchandise product, and support the store management team. Specialty Paint Sales Associates are viewed as subject matter experts and tasked with specialized duties that include giving color and paint product selection advice, receiving product, and overseeing the paint department.
- Maintain the paint counter, aisles and ensure chip-chart is stocked and organized and merchandised attractively.
- Offer color matching expertise including knowledge of any tint software and the safe operation of all paint mixing and tinting equipment.
- Ensure that the paint department is performing (on a weekly basis) to the expectations of the Store Manager.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of paint properties and components to provide the customer the product they need for their job.
- Build strong professional relationships with both retail and B2B client base to ensure repeat business
- Understand and upsell to more profitable product lines when appropriate.
- Maintain awareness of all promotions and advertisements.
- Execute the daily operational, day to day goals and priorities assigned by store management.
- Ability to safely operate including related software.
- Ensure all areas of paint department are fully stocked with no missing product or ‘outs’
- Assist in the training and development of peers.
- Actively participate in daily huddle meetings.
- Uphold merchandising and store cleanliness standards.
- Participate in the processing of new shipments and help the team to keep the receiving and back stock area clean and organized.
- Aware of and able to respond to safety issues.
- Aid customers in locating merchandising in store, on acehardware.com, as well as processing special orders.
- Solicit customers to open an Ace Rewards card.
- Minimum 5 years paint store experience that includes extensive color matching, and frequent use of all related software and mixing equipment
- 3 – 5 years experience in a retail hardware environment in a customer-facing role
- Minimum 3 years experience in B2B paint sales
- Knowledge of retail computer systems, color tinting software, MS Word and Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal ‘people’ skills.
- Excellent communication skills, exceptional organizational ability, high attention to detail, and ability to multitask.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Fully proficient with color matching including a thorough understanding of how color, shade, tone, tinting, shading, hue, saturation and value factor into color matching.
- Demonstrate an expert level of knowledge relative to the selection of appropriate bases in the matching process.
- Demonstrate an expert level understanding of paint components including pigments, binders, solvents (liquids) and additives and how they affect the final product.
- Ability to determine sheens and textures to meet the customer’s expectations.
- Sales and marketing experience with retail with ‘upselling’ skills.
- Ability to sell the ‘entire project’ by recommending brushes, rollers, tape and surface preparation products to suit the customer’s needs.
- Ability to safely use all mixing equipment.
- Must be able to lift 65 pounds frequently to load and unload customer orders.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Move and handle boxes of merchandise and fixtures throughout the store.