Mason jars are definitely enjoying a moment. From gift ideas and storage vessels for craft accessories to containers for breakfasts you make the night before, these old-fashioned canning jars have come a long way from their humble beginnings as an alternative to unwieldy early 19th-century opaque canning containers. Read on to see how you can make the most of the old-school jar that’s taken Pinterest by storm.
1. Organize your sewing or craft supplies in these sturdy, versatile jars. Decorating is optional, but you may be more inclined to keep everything together if you attach attractive printed labels or paint them on the jars.
2. Seasonal decorating suddenly gets a boost with spray-painted mason jars. Spray paint bands of varying colors onto the jar’s exterior to suit the holiday or time of year. Try orange, white and yellow for fall-friendly candy corn or red, white and blue for the Fourth of July.
3. Mason jars could put an end to boring soap dispensers. Drill a hole in the lid’s exact center with a high-speed half-inch drill bit, and fit a dispenser from a used bottle of lotion into the top. You’ll be surprised at just how nicely your bathroom decor cleans up!
4. Make a coin bank: cut an opening in the lid of a mason jar. Paint the outside, then add the emblem of your child’s favorite superhero. Click here for instructions on creating the image and completing the jar’s design. There’s no better way to encourage saving!
5. Whether you don’t have a vase handy or just like the way it looks, a mason jar makes a great home for store-bought buds or your garden’s bounty. Decorate the jar if you like.
6. Want a charming, unique way to display photos? Try a mason jar! Vegetable oil acts as the backdrop for your favorite pictures. Photos stand up well to the oil, and it gives them a sweetly nostalgic look that’s especially well-suited to vintage family photos. You’ll find a tutorial here.
7. Mason jars make great candle molds. The fairly advanced instructions involve ready-made pillar candles and a few supplies, but the results are satisfying and pretty.
8. Banish odors and freshen your home by filling mason jars with cut lemons, herbs, spices and other ingredients of your choice. The result is an all-natural source of aromatherapy for your entire household.
9. We think you’ll be sweet on this idea: Top lids with your favorite fabrics, paint jars or decorate however you like. Fill jars with a variety of candies for the perfect sweets table at your next party.
10. It may not be trendy, but we think our last suggestion may be the best. Preserving food helps you save money, eat more nutritious foods and become more self-reliant. Consider paying homage to the revolutionary jar’s inventor, John Landis Mason, by taking up canning this year. You’ll be glad you did!
We hope you’ve enjoyed our ideas for re-purposing mason jars. Get your supplies at your neighborhood Rocky’s Hardware. Our friendly staff will be happy to help you find just the right items for your Mason jar DIY project.