The winter season is upon us! With it comes harsh weather that can creep into your home. Keep the cold out by taking a few steps to prepare your home for winter. Completing these DIY steps will help keep your energy bill low and your home warm.
Insulate your windows!
Window insulation kits are a quick and easy solution to keep drafts from creeping in through your windows. Plastic window insulation can help you lower energy costs by providing an insulation barrier of trapped air to keep drafts out.
To install plastic window insulation film:
- Apply double-sided tape around window trim
- Stretch out the sheet of plastic over the window and attach it to the tape
- Use a heat gun or blow dryer to shrink the plastic tight against the window
Add Weather Stripping
Weather stripping will prevent cold air from entering your home. Install weather stripping around windows & doors to prevent energy loss.
To apply to weatherstrip:
- Prepare the window/door surface by wiping it down with soapy water
- Measure the window/door channel where the stripping will sit. Cut the strips to length
- Peel adhesive backing and press strip into channel
Replace Furnace Filters
Your furnace will run more efficiently with a clean filter. A dirty filter with a buildup of dust can obstruct airflow and cause your furnace to work overtime to heat your home, increasing energy costs.
Make sure to replace your filter about once every three months.
Cold weather can damage your outdoor faucet if you're not careful. Freezing water will expand and burst your pipes. Prevent ruptures by taking the time to winterize your outdoor faucet before freezing weather.
- Disconnect and drain your garden hose. This prevents water from freezing in the hose and rupturing the faucet.
- If your faucet is connected to an interior shut-off valve, use it. Open the outdoor faucet and drain any excess water from the pipe.
- Use a foam faucet cover to insulate your pipes from the cold. When installed properly, the faucet cover will trap heat that naturally radiates out from the interior.