A smash burger is, very simply, a thin beef patty that is quick-cooked on a hot griddle. By cooking 2 smaller patties instead of one 4-ounce patty, you double the amount of crust, and a beautifully caramelized, crispy crust is what a great smash burger is all about!
- 1 lb ground beef with fat content in the 15-20% range
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese, optional
- Your favorite toppings
- Big Green Egg Cast Iron Grill Press
- Plancha Griddle or 2 Half Moon Cast Iron Planchas
- Season the beef with garlic powder, sale and pepper. Roll the beef into 8 2-oz balls. Prep your condiments.
- Set the EGG for direct cooking at 400°F/204°C with the Big Green Egg Cast Iron Plancha preheating in the EGG.
- Lightly oil the pre-heated plancha grill or use butter for extra flavor. Place a loosely shaped ball of ground meat on the griddle, then use the weight of a grill press to push down on the meat until you have a thin patty.
- Let the burgers cook for 60-90 seconds until the juices start to bubble through the burgers. Only flip the patties once. Be sure to scrape under the patty to retain the crispy, caramelized crust on the bottom.
- Add cheese and cook for another minute or two. Top with your favorite condiments and serve immediately.
Find more recipes and information on Big Green Egg here!